Click here for information at USGS!
Click here for a quick guide for this species. PDF format!
- Bowfin Amia calva
• Torpedo-shaped body that tapers towards the tail
• Light brown with dark brown patches covering the body
• Large mouth with sharp teeth
• Anal fin extends from middle of body almost to the tail
• Can grow up to 4 ft (1.2 m) long and weigh up to 15 lb (6.8 kg)
• Capable of breathing out of water (in moist environments) for up to 7 days
• Swamps, shallow ponds, slow-moving streams
• Vegetated or muddy bottoms
• Fresh water with a temperature range of 0-30 degrees C
Known Distribution in the Northeast
• Massachusetts, New York
• Native to China and Korea
• As a voracious top-level predator with no natural enemies, could devastate the freshwater food web